Every day is a day to celebrate but there is something special about March 25th, it's National Ag Day in the US. The Agricultural Council of America has designated this day to raise awareness among families like yours and mine about the important role farmers play in our lives. Since 1973 this has been a day to educate the public about how food is produced, how it helps support the American economy and about career possibilities in agriculture.
Looking for ways to celebrate with your family?
- Visit a farm. Check out Illinois Agritourism to go on a group tour.
- The Museum of Science and Industry has a great exhibit on farm technology that is suitable for all ages.
- Visit a farmer's market. I know it's still freezing in much of Illinois, but by May you should be able to visit your local farmer's market to support farmers and purchase locally grown food.
- Head to the library to check out books on this reading list to learn more.
- Work with your child's teacher to bring Agriculture into the classroom.
How do you talk about farming and agriculture with your family?